It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Friday, July 16, 2010

So…

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
Play with your children.
Take time to get medical checkups.
Take your partner out to dinner.
There will always be time
to clean the house and mop the floors.

 

The preceding verse was part of an email message that I received this morning.  I was reminded of a friend I had when my daughter was in high school. 
Her name was Mary Jo and she and her family lived across the street from me.  Mary Jo’s husband was the football coach and Driver’s Ed teacher at our local high school.  He was dearly loved by faculty and students alike. They had two children, Troy and Toni.  They were actually misnamed because Troy was the spitting image of his dad (Tony) and Toni was blond haired and blue eyed like her mother.  Toni was 2 years old and had a cyst come on her forehead which required major surgery.  I helped by caring for her brother at this time.

I loved those kids.  At that time in my life I was obsessed with keeping my house spotless.  No special reason as it won’t make a tiddleypoop worth of difference in 100 years.  When I would visit with Mary Jo in her home I was amazed at how she managed her children and her house.  Her house was clean but a bit untidy.  I would often catch her sitting on the floor reading a book to her children while there were dishes to do in the sink.  Mary Jo was diabetic and her children were precious to her.  She had these children against the advice of her doctor

Her husband got a better job at a larger high school in Springfield and they moved away.  I was busy working a full time job and we only sporadically kept in touch. 

Tony died at age 39 of pancreatitis.  He was diagnosed, hospitalized and died 2 weeks later.  Jim and I went to the visitation and it was heartbreaking.

The years passed and their son Troy graduated from University and his first coaching job was as coach in my little town.  Talk about déjà when one day I opened the front door and there was my dear friend Mary Jo. She had come to help her son move into his new home, and that was how I heard the news.  I was able to visit with Mary Jo each time she came to town to visit her son.

And, the moral of this true story, is to live each day to the fullest, don’t be afraid to tell family and friends how special they are to you and trust in God to guide you in your future.

Beth

7 comments:

  1. You already know I believe in that as well. Trouble is so many won't heed that..they feel they are too busy. But usually they come to that realization as they get middle aged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A message we all need to take heed of. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truer words were never spoken, Beth. The sad thing is that most of the time it's the old crowd that finally realizes that, and the younger still think of "climbing the ladder" and buying everything imaginable" -- the must-have-it-now syndrome. You know what I mean. Then there's the cell phones that have grown to their faces and all they do is text or post on FaceBook, no time for anything face to face. They are missing EVERYTHING. I'm sorry they are. I know to this day I miss my mother like she just passed away 2 weeks ago, and we were super close. I can only imagine what will happen with these kids when they lose the ones they love and "should have" spent the time with them. Whew, I wouldn't want that guilt for anything.
    Well, point is, cleaning, cell phones overuse, texting like it's the only way to live, it's all the same. I agree with you. Take the time, take the time. Time never goes backwards.
    Really good post, Beth.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a wonderful post, Beth, full of wisdom and good advise. We should never take those we love and who love us , for granted. Things don't bring fullfilment but love does.Love is much more than a word to say to each other and actions are louder than words. We all need to be reminded sometimes as we get busy with the cares of life, and before you know it all those good intentions could be too late.

    Well Beth, hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    My son and his family and my mom went camping for a few days. Tomorrow my hubby and I will join them for the day. I am lookin forward to sitting down and relaxing with family. I will take my little camera and may take some family snapshots, maybe build a sandcastle with my 3 angels and what ever else comes to mind. Oh yes, I am also taking my bike. :) Should be a good day.
    Bring on the marshmellows. It's been along time since I had them over a campfire. I can hardly wait.
    Sorry Beth, I think I just wrote a blog on your blog. Take care and thankyou for this wonderful post. Hugs and smiles
    Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth my friend. I was feeling down in the dumps over a certain situation in my life. Your blog has turned me around and I have changed my thinking. All I will say is I'm not giving up on this particular situation when up until I just came home from work I was ready to give up.
    Thank you Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to read this twice. Thank you Beth for sharing this. You helped me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth
    I too have read this twice, I think your story has made us all stop and think
    Thank you for telling it to us
    take care
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)