It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Retro Post

4/21/2006
Beginning of the garage sale season - hooray!
I must have stated a dozen or more times on my old space that I am addicted to garage sales. I love them, Jim loves them, we both are hooked.

Typical garage sale day. Set the alarm for 6:00 AM. Get up, get dressed, stumble to the kitchen. Have breakfast. Skip making coffee on garage sale day. We have two gigantic insulated mugs and we stop at Casey's and fill them with coffee as we are leaving town.

OK, where do we go today. Check the newspaper and take note of how many sales there are in our university city. 34 sales...yes that is enough to make it worthwhile to spend $3 a gallon for gas.

Hop in the truck (our gas hog, about 17 mpg on a good day) and head for the sales.

You meet no strangers at a garage sale, but you sure can get aggravated by some folks. I'm talking about the person who stands in front of a box of new paperbacks and won't move. This person knows that I am just dying to start looking through those books. Of course this box of books is sitting on the ground and I have to squat down to look at them. I am yet to go to a garage sale where the books were not on the ground. Well, I can get down alright but Jim has to hover nearby to help me up (back surgery 3 summers ago which resulted in a pin in my back).

On to the next garage sale. I love classic country music and here I find a Lee Greenwood CD from 1989. Not exactly classic, but close enough for government work. (I love that phrase, I picked it up when I worked at the AF Base) Also a Tony Bennett Christmas CD. Bennett was a hearthrob of mine when I was a teeny-bopper. Don't laugh, even I was young once. Actually Jim would probably tell you that I was passable in the looks department too...hey it never hurts to toot your own horn once in awhile.

Also found today:
A metal sculpture like thing that says ' Welcome' on it (only requires a little soldering and some paint)
A huge jar for hen and chickens

Tomorrow is city wide garage sales at a town close to Peoria. Too far to travel 90 miles with gas at $3 a gallon so it is...

Back to university city tomorrow to check out the new sales!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)