It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Friday the 13th..

was a very good day for me.  Probably one of the happiest mornings I have spent since I moved here to be close to my daughter and SIL.  My daughter went with me and we spent the whole morning going to garage sales.  The weather was absolutely perfect, sunshine and in the mid 70s. 
I found some good bargains for me.  Ten books by John Sandford (one of my favorite authors)  I had been looking at several of the titles online for my Nook.  The price for the e-book, $14.99 each.  These books were one reader books which I got for 50cents each.  I was talking to the gal having the sale.  I told her that I was delighted to find some of Sandford’s books at a garage sale.  As we were talking I told her that I was averaging about $50 a month buying books for my Nook.  Then she told me something that I have been smiling about ever since.  She said that she had a Nook too but that her husband has grounded her from using  it as she spent over $300 the first week she had it on e-books.  Smile  After shopping for e-books at Barnes & Noble I can understand how that could happen.  I police myself and check out my favorite authors to see if they have bundled any of their books and set a limit for myself.
After the garage sales we ate at 8th Street Station aka Grumpy Pete’s where they have the breaded wall-eye in the buffet on Friday.  YUMMMM!!!!  Good stuff!
But all good things come to an end.  It started raining last night and it has rained ever since, still pouring down.  Today is the Food Drive for the Post Office.  I have a sack of food all ready but I don’t dare to set it out by the mailbox as I know it will get wet. Hopefully I will see the letter carrier to hand the sack to.
The blogger shutdown the last couple of days reminded me of when we were blogging on Windows Live Spaces.  They were always performing maintenance on something.  Anyway, I am glad Blogger is back up and running because I really did miss it.
I hope you all are having  a sunny weekend.  Stay safe and be happy!!
Red heart  Beth

17 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,

    Have good weekend. Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good Friday 13th. We had a little rain with expected severe t storms, but thank God it petered out. It's been trying to rain today. I hate when Blogger messes with the internet, reminding me also of spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,

    I came over from 10minutes2breathe. I have read some of your post, and just wanted to say 'Hi." I also have to watch my budget for books. I could get in real trouble with my Kindle if I'm not careful.

    Looking forward to reading your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I've been afraid to get a Nook or a Kindle etc. I would break us totally. Glad the day was such a good one. I too missed blogger. Just didn't know what to do with myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me happy to read you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still in the stone age. I have not gotten 'round to buying a kindle. Is it wierd at first? I just can't wrap my head around not turning real pages. I am such an fuddy duddy. Weather is still weird here too. I wish the sun would stop being fickle. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you had a happy day Twin. Makes me happy just reading it. I would have loved to have been along.

    Have a great day tomorrow even if it's raining (here too, I might add.)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a happy day! I would enjoy a Nook or Kindle, but would have to definitely stick to a budget. It rained here yesterday and is still raining today. It's also a mite chilly..high 50's.
    I'm still smiling thinking of your day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garage sales are starting around town and I'm contemplating about going to them myself. I don't normally go, as I have enough stuff of my own to get rid of, and collecting items to have one myself. I'd like to try to find some kids outdoor backyard toys. Kids grow so fast and I am so cheap... second hand seems the way to go.
    Sounds like you have a pretty darn good day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a close thing to do with your daughter..... Garage sales!! I do thrift stores with my granddaghter. Hope you are in the middle of a fun weekend. Can't believe it's half over already :)
    Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like going to garage sales as well, I always come home with a pile of stuff... Glad to hear you enjoyed your day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very happy for you and here on now continuity.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, it's garage sale time again! Am planning on not only hitting them hard this summer, but also having my own...need to downsize the STUFF in our shed. Always on the lookout at sales for musical instruments (esp. Clarinets and Saxes) as Max is interested in branching out his musical talent. Glad you found some good books---I always look for those and record albums. Yes, we got some rain last night and it is expected to last through today and tomorrow. Unusual for us at this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a great day! THE BOSS says that since I fractured my spine on Halloween ('05), slipped on the ice, gave myself a mild concussion and damaged the body brace I was wearing after the surgery to repair my spine on Valentine's Day ('07),fractured my wrist on Father's Day ('08) and blew up the transmission in my car going home to see Mom on Memorial Day ('09) I am forbidden to leave the house on special days of any sort.......especially Friday the 13th! Buddy and I spent the day shooting burd pictures from the bedroom window.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm jealous! I didn't get to one single sale this weekend and I'm suffering from garage sale withdrawal. Glad you had such a great day with Marcia. Beautiful up here today...sure hope it stays around for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love yard sales when I am not the one having it; They are alot of fun, and it is great when you find exactly what you were looking for. That is great that you got all those books.
    I will soon have to have a yard sale of my own but there is just too much other stuff going on at the moment so it will have to wait awhile longer.
    It rained yesterday, and today, and has got cold again, and windy. Feels like Fall.
    Well you take care Beth, and have a good week.
    Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Beth the weather here pretty dull but we havn't had any rain so my plants outside need a good watering every evening. Glad you are enjoying your reading have fun hugs Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)