It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Monday, May 9, 2011

The start of a brand new week…

and I hope this week is better than last week; too many things happening last week that were very stressful for me.

My brother and sis and law went on a cruise to the Cayman Islands last month.  That is the 3rd or 4th cruise in the last 6 months. I just received the DVD of their photos.  they got some great shots.

108

I have never had a desire to go on a cruise.  I have always wanted to visit England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland.  And now I think that will never happen as my get up and go done got up and went.

Let’s see, what shall I do today.  I have already cleaned the bathroom and I ran the vacuum over the weekend.  I don’t need anything from the store and please keep me away from Bergner’s and Kohl’s as I spend way too much money there.  I didn’t get the car washed so there is that option.

Summer is here.  It is to be in the 80s today and near 90 for Wednesday and Thursday.  Turn off the furnace and turn on the AC.

I had a friend ask what my mom had on over her dress in the picture.  It was an apron.  In those days women made most of their own dresses and if they had enough material left they would make a matching full apron to go over the dress.  I can also remember the sunbonnets that mom made for us girls to wear when we were working  in the garden.  Mom planted lots of lima beans and butter beans.  Most of them she would let dry.  We would then lay the shelled beans on newspaper in the attic for them to dry.  There would usually be enough beans to last most of the winter.  To this day I love lima beans and butter beans.  When Jim and I had our garden we would plant green lima beans to climb the fence around the garden.   Oh what a lovely memory.  We would both spend hours working outside.

I hope you all have a great week.  Be kind to each other, watch what you say, because words once said can never be taken back.

Red heart  Beth

12 comments:

  1. Hoping your week is a wonderful one Sis..I know Spring has taken it's time this year..hope true Summer will stick around for awhile as the winter was wayyyy too long. Sounds like you are on schedule with your chores.. when you get done come do mine too. LOL Hugs to you!! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the places I would like to visit to Beth. Not gonna happen here either. My mom could sew but never did for us that I can remember. I think her old machine is in the garage. Don't think it works. Pretty much had to teach myself as a previous blog about a bad teacher attested to. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,

    Hope you have a good week too. Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  4. what sweet memories! I can't wait til the garden starts producing! great post. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can remember all of that. Especially shelling the beans. Sure hard on the finger nails. ME

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well looks like summer is there for sure. We had an unusual Mother's Day snow of 2 1/2 inches. I am so glad I haven't started anything in the garden yet. Cutting way back anyways. Might be a good year for hubby to maybe build some 3 foot raised beds for me. My back can't take all that bending over and reaching anymore. But I have got all my hanging baskets and container plants ready in the greenhouse just need the weather to put them out. Didn't start seeds in there this year just a few quick annual flowers that grower fast I thru in with some annuals I have in the baskets and pots. Did start all my sunflowers though. I can't live without them. Anway I am sure you are loving the heat right now. In a month you will be wishing it was cooler. I so wish we would get some heat. Have a wonderful week. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am crazy about butterbeans and lima beans. I could eat them exclusivly for a long time. I love Fordhook limas too. ANY kind. YUMMY! Oh, my mouth is watering.

    I need to plant my sunflowers. They are overgrown in their small starter pots. Been busy and forgot them.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DON'T KNOW WHAT A VACATION IS. I wish you happiness and one day your wishes come true.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessings my friend.
    When things get stressful for you take a minute and breathe, stop everything and just relax before you continue the neccessities.

    If your desire is to travel then do so, dont wait for we never know what life holds for us. Stoping putting it off and just go.

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these memories Beth. My mom and Grandma always work aprons and from what I see around the 'net, it appears they're making a comeback. Sorry, but I can't say anything good about lima beans. Not my cup of tea. Have a nice warm day today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely memories Beth I can just imagine you as children in the garden with mum with your little bonnets on. Mum used to spend a lot of time in the kitchen and would wear a little apron on top of her dress. I hope you get back your get and go back, sometimes mine deserts me at times. Lovely weather oh good that sure does lift your spirits Hugs Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too have garden memories from my youth, but they all had to do with weeding and picking beans and such---to this day, I do NOT enjoy working in the garden much. I do it because it is necessary and the food is so worth it. Glad you are having such warm weather---it was 38 when we got up this morning---brrr. Only supposed to be in the 60's today and cooler tomorrow. Sure enjoyed having the boys both home for Mothers Day! (see my soon to be blog)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)