It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Monday, August 22, 2011

Sing before 7…

cry before 11.  This is an old superstition that I have heard since I was a small child.  Believe me that was a fairly long time ago.  I don’t consider myself a superstitious person but I absolutely will not break into song before 7AM.  I am not afraid of walking under a ladder (not unless someone is standing on the ladder painting something) and I have been known to let a black cat cross my path without screeching at the top of my lungs.  Lucky for all of you that you can’t hear me sing because I can’t carry a tune in a bushel basket.  I am pretty good at whistling God Bless America though.  Long time readers of my blog will know exactly what I am talking about.  If you don’t know what I am talking about, ask me and I will explain.  Do you have any superstitions?

I love talking to my  sis, Rae, when we get to reminiscing about our younger days.  Lots of good laughs and memories there.  Of course some things are better not remembered so we won’t go there.  We were talking this morning about going to Centennial Jr. High in a central Illinois city.  I was in the 9th grade and Rae was in the 7th grade.  I was remembering this guy whose name was Frankie O. (no relation to your Frankie, Chip).  He had this tremendous crush on me and boy it was a heady feeling.  He followed me around in school like a puppy dog.  He was cute as can be with reddish hair.  I kind of had a thing for red hair until I met my Jim, then it was curly black hair.  Anyway Frankie O, if you are Polish and still living in this central Illinois city, I often wondered what happened to you.  LOL  A few months ago I thought I would look up an old friend only to find out through Google that he had passed away last October.  See!!  I told ya, you can never go home again.

raeandme

Rae and me in our younger days.

It is a lovely cool morning right now, checking in at 61 degrees.  It is supposed to get up to the upper 80s today and then in the 90s later in the week.  This morning makes me think of Autumn and after the long hot summer we have had, I am more than ready. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week.  Stay safe and be happy!!

Red heart  Beth

13 comments:

  1. Reminiscing can be fun and funny at times. Especially if one views a memory different than you do. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have someone that shares those special memories with you!! Wouldn't it be funny if somehow Frankie read this post?!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,

    I am not superstitious - but I have never heard of that one, although you would seldom, if ever, hear me sing before 7.am. well not unless 1 a.m. counts maybe, very very occasionally. Enough waffle from me.

    Have a good week

    Hugs Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty well a stanch disbeliever when it comes to bad luck and such. It reminds me of "Dumb and Dumber" when he threw the whole salt shaker over his shoulder for luck and hit some huge guy in the back of the head! I figure you pretty much create what you get out of life. It's been pretty cool here...fact is I see trees changing color and I'm not at all happy about that. I dread the approach of winter...there have been times when there is virtually no fall at all...Lord help us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have any superstitions.
    Have you ever sung in the shower before 7? Does that count? How about in the rain?
    Wonderful weather here but I'm slumming today. Staying in. I'm home until tomorrow morning.
    I will stop typing now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are having a beautiful not too humid but hot day. I could look at those pictures forever...they are such a treat to see. I wonder about mean ol' Tommy P*****k too..if he's still living and doing mean things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now it goes to show how things can change from one side of the world to the other, we always say 'rain before 7, dry by 11, now how's that for a different take on your saying? and there seems to be some truth in it too, as it's often proven right. anyhow, I'm not at all superstitious I don't know if I even believe it's all mapped out or just sheer happenchance, I did have an out of body experience though, so maybe I'm not as 'cool' as I appear.
    The weather here is just perfect, not too hot nor cool, but they warn us it's about to change and get very wet. Thanks for your welcome visits Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am someone who will turn around in the road to avoid a black cat...I guess I am supersticious, although my daughter Danielle was born on Friday the 13th and she is a dream of a daughter.
    Thank's for your dear comment.
    Love,Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really have any superstitions but THE BOSS has enough for both of us. Best you broke a lot of hearts. You and Rae were a couple of hotties!

    BTW: If my Frankie's grandfather hadn't dropped the O from the front of his name when he emigrated her maiden name would have been O'Dill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two are sure cute! True, you can never really go home again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photo Beth you look so sweet together. If a bird poops on me it is a sign of good luck. I will walk under ladders . Have a lovely day Hugs Sheila and Wile-e :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never heard that saying, but the one I remember is rain before 7, quit by 11. Maybe that meant tears?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will never catch me singing in the morning as I am not a morning person. I do love to sing but also can't carry a note. But boy can I wail like a coyotee. Funny how people pop into our heads and we wonder what happen to them. I have been lucky to reconnect with a lot of old friends, but then there are some I still wonder about. We are still in a heat wave hoping for some rain without thunder storms. I have been busy all week picking sour cherries and rasberries and what ever else is ripe. My freezer is full so have had to start canning or making jams. Something I prefer to do in the fall. Well I am pooped now spent most the day outside. Hugs Carrie

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)