It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Happy Birthday today 3 June 2012…

to my brother in law Hugh.  I find it so hard to believe that he has reached the age  of ?.  Seems like only yesterday!

Hugh was born on June 3rd  in Kenova WV.  We met Hugh in the spring of 1955 while he was attending Western Illinois University in Macomb after his stint in the United States Navy.


Hugh attended grade school in Kenova.  50 years later to the day he accompanied his granddaughter to the very same school to begin the first grade.  Her mother and her grandmother (Rae) were both working.  Since Hugh was able to take a day of vacation from his job he got the honor of seeing his granddaughter safely to the first day of her first year of school.  

Hugh and Rae’s home now is just 4 blocks from the house where Hughie was born.

Rae and Hugh were married on November 4, 1955.  Through the years the four of us were very close.  Hugh and Jim were like brothers, a fact that Hugh mentioned when he spoke at Jim’s memorial service.  I have always thought of Hugh as my brother instead of brother in law.

hughie 6 months    hughie 18 mo
Hugh as a baby and at  approximately ?? months old…
hughieage18     Hughie at boot camp
Hugh at 18 taken in California…and soon at boot camp (Great Lakes IL) during the time of the Korean War…
  Hughie age22 1955   rae& hugh when they first met
Hugh in 1955 when he first met Rae…and how they both  looked…
rae and hughie's mom and dad.bmp
Rae with Hugh’s mom and dad…
rae & hugh wedding 4 Nov 1955  rae & hughie 4 nov 55
Rae and Hugh’s wedding 4 November 1955…
long ago
Many moons ago…Hughie with 2 beautiful women…
jim and hughie2  Hughie
Hugh and Jim…  Hugh in his workshop acting silly…  This guy makes the most beautiful things out of wood…
hughie and jim4   rae and hughie3
Hugh and Jim…                                                     Rae and Hugh…
Dreamland_0101  22222
Hugh and Rae July 2011…  And this year the birthday cards just kept coming, and coming…
 100_09745 H2
Hughie opening one of the over 100 cards he received and how he looked when he was finished.  Pictures taken 2 June 2012.

Hughie, I want to wish you a very happy birthday filled with much love and happiness.  Thank you for all of the wise counsel you have given me, and thank you for being a brother to Jim too.  Eat a big piece of cake for me as I am stuck here 500 miles away,  Hugs for you all!

Love from your sister,

Beth

17 comments:

  1. Beth, words cannot say what this meant to Hughie.
    It is beautiful and it shows how much work into the project. We love you. Your sister, Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! I love you both too! Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Hugh! You don't look a day over 30. Looks like a wonderful celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Beth! Hope all is well with you. Here, we have had 2 weeks of extreme heat, but now the cold winds sweeping over Sweden. But summer is here with its beautiful greenery, makes you happy in body and soul. Wishing you a very nice week! Hugs Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Hugh. Isn't it great that history is repeating itself with a grand child going to the same school. That's great and that Hugh got to accompany her on her first day of school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, I have always felt like a member of the family I think which is why I love seeing the pictures so much. I feel as though I know you all in person, not just through pictures. Happy Birthday Hugh. You sure have a sister who loves you dearly and I know you return that love.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely tribute to your brother, Hugh. Love the "James Dean" pose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, such a lovely tribute to your dear BIL. He sounds like a wonderful man. Happy birthday to him. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated Birthday to Hugh. Great tribute Beth. I enjoyed looking at all the photos.

    Hope you are having a great day.
    Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Send Hugh my happy birthday wishes, Beth! This is such a good tribute in his honor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uncle Hugh, happy birthday, I just wrote a long story on Beths blog, but down here in Florida we r not very good bloggers so will try again. Loved the pictures I remember the one of you and Aunt Rar growing up, mama always had it in a frame! Time goes by so fast,
    It has been a wild ride and would not change a thing, life had it's up and downs , but the ride had made it worth while. Love you all!!! Deb and Paul and family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Family and family times are sooo special and wonderful. What happy memories you have, Beth. I hope Hugh has many more happy and healthy BD's wrapped in the love of his family. BGB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Beth,

    A wonderful birthday tribute and nice photos. I hope your brother in law had a marvellous time

    Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the life of me I thought that I'd commented here for this one but apparently not. I truly enjoy the pictures and the history you have here Beth. Keeping such wonderful memories alive is a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was beautiful Beth

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)