It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Saturday, November 23, 2013

November 23, a very special day…

Today would have been my mom and dad’s 89th wedding anniversary!  I just found out from visiting one of my favorite bloggers  Nana Diana that today is also her son’s birthday.

daddy and mom 1963

This is how I remember my mom and dad.  This picture was taken in 1963.  They were not fancy people and my daddy never put on his suit unless it was for a wedding or a funeral.  My mom raised 8 kids (I was number 6) and it wasn’t easy for her at all.  I remember supper a lot of times as being bowls of milk and cornbread.  My dad was a truck driver and if times were good I remember Saturday lunch was a special treat.  Baloney and cheese sandwiches, strawberry pop and chocolate covered marshmallow cookies with raspberry filling.  To this day I love marshmallows and I always list it as my favorite candy.  I love those Nabisco chocolate pinwheel cookies too!

My dad was a very proud man.  He never took a handout from anyone so Christmas was always a lean time for us.  No one delivered a turkey or ham to our door because dad always said that he could provide for his family.  And he did the best that he could!  My mom tried to make homemade candy at Christmas time and would start making it a couple of months ahead of time.  She stored the candy in a 5 gallon can and we all knew not to touch it.  Below is a recipe from my recipe web site.

********************************************

Mom’s White Fudge

My mother used to start making candy about a month before Christmas. She would store the candy in a large can and keep it in a cool place. This was one of my favorites.

•3 cups sugar
•1 cup evaporated milk
•1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
•3/4 stick margarine
•1 (12 ounce) can angel flake coconut
•1 cup chopped nuts

Mix sugar, milk and margarine together and cook until mixture comes to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 5 minutes over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and marshmallow creme, then add nuts. Stir until mixture starts to thicken. Pour into buttered pan. Cool before cutting. Makes about 2 pounds.

**********************************************

My mom never knew a stranger and would give a hug to anyone who came in our door.  Also offer refreshments of whatever we might have.  I miss you mom and daddy!  Happy Anniversary!!

Today I have a sore throat to go with the congestion.  If I don’t feel better on Monday I will see if I can get in to see the nurse practitioner or I will go to Urgent Care here at the hospital.

I hope today is good for us all.  Stay safe and be happy!!

Beth

 

37 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to your parents. They sound like wonderful people, but then I knew that from the kind of person you are. Hope your feeling better soon. Seems to be the thing right as I know quite a few fighting colds, flu, sore throats etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what wonderful memories, they have happy good faces, this candy sounds amazing, marshmallow cream is very hard to find here, but I will look for it, take care of your sore throat, goodness knows you had enough of that pain with all you've been through,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope too Sis that you are feeling okay..this nasty bug going around has me down for the count,,but I shall rise again.. I love the photo and your parents raised you right..you are a wonderful person inside and out. Will try the recipe sometime..I can't eat much chocolate so this will be a treat for me., Take care and continued prayers at this difficult time. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Beth. Your parents did great job. I too am in a reflective mood with the holidays looming. Remembering all my cousins coming to our house on Thanksgiving and going to their house for Christmas. And now unfortunately I have to get ready for work. I hate the late shift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm...your mother's fudge sounds delicious! Your parents sound like salt of the earth people of whom you can be proud. They certainly did a fine job raising their brood. You might find this interesting since you love marshmallow, eating marshmallows is very good for a sore throat. Feel better, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some very special memories, Beth. How fortunate you are to have a photo of your parents together. Thank you for posting the fudge recipe.

    xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post reminds me of my own grandparents. Those are some touching memories you have...what a treasure! I pray you are soon feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my dad wore overalls, too. and we ate fried bologna sandwiches and loved 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beth, We were raised the same way. ...meager existance. You know it seems no matter how old we are , or how long our parents have been gone, we never lose that longing for them. One more hug, or to say I love you just once more. Take care of yourself Beth...gotta stay healthy. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful memories...your parents were good people.

    Tea and honey. And do get to a doctor on Monday, you don't want to be down for the count on Thanksgiving!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. cherished memories!!

    hope you feel better on your own, i hate going to the doctors!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth, I am sorry that your home and so many others were damaged by the storm. Thankful that you were not hurt! These are wonderful memories of your parents. My Daddy would be 91 this week if he was still alive. Mother would have been 84. I think about them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such happy memories, Beth. I love family stories and pictures too. Hope you feel better soon. Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Beth that is a wonderful tribute to an amazing couple. My Dad was the same way so Christmas was lean but I appreciate it so much for that reason now. Love this recipe I am going to try it. HUGS Beth for you and your memories.
    Take care of that throat OK. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you didn't have a lot of 'stuff' but had lots of love! : )
    I had a lot of stuff but was terrified of my mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful memories sweetie.of your parents. Mine died a 96 young.
    My hubbys Parents my Mother in-law was the most beautiful lady.Never did I have words with her .
    She brought up nine children. She never asked for anything. She cooked and never complained. I miss her dearly and my hubbies dad. They lived to be in 80's.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful warm memories you have of your parents. Please take good care of yourself.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  18. If Mom and Dad were gone, we would take out a piece of fudge. We thought Mom would not notice any of the fudge was gone. I am sure she did.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awe, this is such a touching and good post. I was raised the same way Beth. It brought back so many memories for me. I love the pic of your dad and mom. Hope you feel better soon. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful memories...and such a lovely photo, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh dear Beth. Sorry you aren't feeling well now on top of everything else. I'm glad you will go to the Urgent Care or see a doc. What a beautiful picture of your mom and dad. You come from the same kind of background I came from. Times were tough, but we really didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your parents sound like salt-of-the-Earth people, 'down home' and big hearted. I'm definitely going to make that coconut fudge recipe. Sounds delicious! -- Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Beth, my parents, like yours, were good ole down-home people that held their heads high and proud. We didn't have much, either...
    almost every Thurs night, (my daddy got paid on Fridays), my mom would make rice, served with sugar, butter and milk and oven toast. This was one of my very favorite meals....little did I know that it was all we had at the end of the week...but it is my favorite to this very day. We never, ever went hungry. Mother was so good at stretching a dollar....and an awesome cook.
    I miss them so much...you never get too old to miss your mama and daddy.
    Sure hope you feel much better by morning.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your daddy reminds me of my granddaddy. :) He and my grandma had eight kids as well. I love fried bologna sandwiches!
    I might have to try that recipe...yum!
    I sure hope you're feeling better by now.
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed reading this. They sound like they were amazing people. I can see now why you're such an awesome person :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a lovely photo of your parents. Life was hard back then, money was tight. Your parents did well to raise you all..and a lovely tribute to them you have written :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sound like good people! I hope you are better, but don't let it go if it isn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this post! Thank you for sharing such a lovely memory and that delicious sounding fudge of your Mother's!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved this post Beth Marie. Thank you for sharing such a lovely memory of your parents and your mother's delicious sounding holiday fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh what great memories of your parents, this was a sweet post to a wonderful sounding couple...............

    ReplyDelete
  31. What beautiful memories of your parents you shared! Hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aren't memories of our parents and their frugal and loving ways so good to have!! We are the lucky ones. Mine were married for 65 years and I have tons of pictures to share with family. I saved your recipe too. Will try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful tribute to your parents. This is wonderful. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, Beth - what a wonderful tribute to your Mom and Dad. We never had much but I don't think we knew that when we were kids. Coming from a farm we always had enough to eat and we were warm. My Dad only dressed up for weddings and funerals, too. He was a good man-a lot like your own Dad. Blessings- this was a wonderful post- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful post Beth lovely tribute to your parents. I bet Christmas was still a special time for all of you. Lovely Memories.
    Hugs Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  36. I loved reading about your mom and dad. You come from good stock, girl!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)